Those who install this Valve software should register for an account to get the most out of the service. Creating an account will give you a unique identification number linked to your profile. And, no matter how basic it might seem to access this separate string of numbers, you might not easily know how to find your Steam ID.
Additionally, since Steam allows users to have the same username, Steam ID becomes all the more important for connecting with your friends on the platform who might have a widely used username.
What is a Steam ID?
A Steam ID is a unique 17-digit sequence that represents your Steam account. This combination of numbers is permanently attached to your Steam profile and helps the platform identify your account. If you have already acquired a custom URL, the ID would be different.
If you want to play cooperative and multiplayer Steam games on the platform, knowing the correct Steam ID is very important. You can share your ID with others to allow them to add you as a friend, or you can search for their ID instead and add friends yourself on Steam.
How do I quickly find a Steam ID?
There are two ways to find a Steam ID which are both quite easy. You can either go the traditional route or search for your ID using the Steam app. Or, if you don’t have access to the Steam app at the time, you can simply use an online tool that can retrieve the Steam ID for you. Here are the steps for these two methods.
1. How do I find the Steam ID from the Steam client?
On desktop / laptop:
- Open the Steam app on your system and log into your account.
- Click on “Steam” at the top of the page.
3. From the menu, select “Settings”.
4. When the Settings window opens, choose “Interface” from the left column.
5. Enable “Show Steam Web Address Bar When Available” and click “OK”.
6. Now click on your username in the menu at the top.
7. A green URL will appear once the page has loaded. The long string of numbers after “https://steamcommunity.com/profiles” is your Steam ID.
On the mobile:
- Open the Steam app on your smartphone and log into your user profile.
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner.
3. Press “Store” and choose “Account Details” from the menu.
4. On the account page, you can see your Steam ID under your username.
2. How do I use third-party Steam ID tools to find Steam ID?
If instead of a 17-digit Steam ID you find something else in your Steam profile link, chances are you’ve set up a custom Steam URL. In that case, you can copy the full Steam Profile URL and submit it to one of the many third-party Steam ID apps on the internet. Some websites that serve this purpose are “steamid.pro”, “steamid.xyz” and “steamid.io”.
3. How do you find your friend’s Steam ID?
You can easily find a Steam friend’s ID using the Steam app on PC. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open Steam and log into your account.
- Follow steps 1 through 5 under “On Desktop / Laptop:” of “How to Find a Steam ID from the Steam Client” mentioned above.
- Now, in the top menu, hover over your username and select “FRIENDS”.
3. On the FRIENDS page, click the friend whose Steam ID you want.
4. On his profile page, you will see a green colored URL at the top; the number sequence after “https://steamcommunity.com/id/” is your friend’s Steam ID.
You can locate your Steam ID from the URL of your Steam profile page on the PC app and from “Store> Account Details” on the mobile app. You can also use websites like “steamid.io” and “steamid.xyz” to get the desired ID.
On the PC application, hover over your username and select “FRIENDS”. Now right click on the desired profile and select “Copy page url”. Paste the copied text to find the Steam ID string from the URL.
Open the Steam app, click on the hamburger menu, and navigate to “Store> Account Details”. It will show you the Steam ID under your username.