Online take-off of identity and passport applications

0


Through Jonisayi Maromo Apr 13, 2016

Share this article:

Pretoria – Thousands of people have applied for smart identity cards and passports online, following the creation of the eHomeAffairs portal in collaboration with major banks, Internal Affairs Director General Mkuseli Apleni said on Wednesday.

“Since the launch of eHomeAffairs last week, 4,088 citizens have registered through the portal, of which 140 online applications have been successfully concluded at all four banks,” Apleni said in Pretoria.

“It was slow on day 1 with 229 applications, 1,687 on day 2, a slight drop on day 3 (189) and day 4 (162) and a return to higher numbers with 1,001 on day 5 and 730. yesterday (Tuesday). The lowest number of applications came over the weekend, Sunday (April 10) with the fewest online applications, ”he said.

He said there were dates already booked until the end of April. Apleni said the new online system now allows citizens to request documents from the comfort of their home or office. People apply and pay online, then go to the bank of their choice to have their picture taken and their fingerprints verified. “The beauty of the system is that citizens who choose this facility do not have to queue at the offices. Home affairs offices would then be free to deal with other clients quickly, confirming our promise that the days of “horror cases” are over, ”Apleni said.

“We hope that the new eHomeAffairs initiative will go a long way in reducing long queues at counters while accelerating the replacement of green barcode ID cards with smart ID cards. In this regard, we ask customers to bring their identity books and the required supporting documents. Ultimately, we want to see better service to citizens and improved professionalism from us.

Banks already involved in the initiative are ABSA, First National Bank, Nedbank and Standard Bank. The system has so far been deployed in 11 bank branches.

“As we announced, the platform is mainly used by citizens of the target group – the 30-35 year olds. Our follow-up shows that there is considerable interest shown even by other age groups. Our call is for more than 30-35 citizens to seize the opportunity and apply, ”Apleni said.

“Others will follow in due course, in particular holders of permanent residence permits as well as those who have been naturalized,” he added.

Apleni said that so far, the pilot project has been for Gauteng and the Canal Walk in the Western Cape.

“We wish to call on citizens outside these areas not to use the facility until further notice,” he said.

African News Agency

* Use the IOL’s Facebook and Twitter pages to comment on our stories. See the links below.


Share.

Comments are closed.